Letters From Our guests
Re Atom Crow Cottage, Pitlochry We stayed at Atom Crow cottage from Tuesday 2 September to Tuesday 9 September 2008. We had a wonderful holiday there and only wish we had had the time to stay longer. We would certainly go back again as we loved the cottage and the area. The following comments are mine – indicating what I liked and appreciated plus anything I found a problem. Pitlochry and the Location Virtually in the centre of Scotland, Pitlochry is in an ideal position for getting to lots of other places, including Montrose, Perth and Braemar – the Games were on while we were there, but sadly we missed them as no tickets were available and we didn’t want to stand all day! But if we’d known .. a selling point for people who’d like to go to them.
- Pitlochry is a beautiful, varied part of Scotland
- It’s easy to get to by car and train
- There are lots of places to go, sights to see, things to do, and shopping to indulge in, all within a reasonable radius from the town by car – from castles to distilleries, from ancient yew tree to stunning countryside, from eateries to crafts, from the House of Bruar to the House of Menzies
- Similarly within Pitlochry and its immediate area – walks, the Moulin Brewery, two distilleries, the Salmon Ladder, the HEP Station, heritage sites, churches and chapels, and much more – we were spoiled for choice!
- Pitlochry is a very pleasant, well appointed, interesting town with good shopping, restaurants and other facilities – some shops had sales, so I indulged in some retail therapy and bought some lovely cashmere jumpers and cardigans at Pringles. Specialist delicatessens and the excellent butchers enabled a good choice of local and other foods, including haggis. The town also felt safe, including walking around at night!
- Our ‘culture vulture’ tendency was well provided for: the Festival Theatre is a gem – we enjoyed seeing two very different plays She Stoops to Conquer and Arcadia – and could easily have gone to see the whole programme, but for the price of tickets and having so many other things we wanted to do! WE also loved seeing the local Band, which was on every Monday night from May to September, and again would have gone to see the whole cultural show, but for conflicting events.
- The people were friendly, welcoming and helpful – with an international feel as some came from Eastern Europe, ANZ, and South Africa. The minister and congregation of the Episcopal Church made us so welcome at the 11.00 o’clock Sunday morning service
- Parking was good and not too expensive
- The cottage is easy walking distance from the town – this enabled some exercise to help cope with all the excellent Scottish and other food available for consuming – I LOVE Caboc cheese, but NOT good for the waistline! Atom Crow Cottage What a gem – different from what I expected but quite delightful.
- It looks small from the outside, but is both compact and spacious inside –comfortable, well laid out and well appointed, easy to maintain, warm, and not frighteningly over-whelming as five star luxury can be)
- Everything that we needed was provided, apart (obviously) from fresh food
- Being on a dead end street means the traffic is minimal
- It felt safe, relaxed and away from the world and its worries – very quiet and restful – we should have taken advantage of this and just sat and read books in the large, inviting, cosy armchairs, instead of rushing around to so many different places! So much to do and not enough time!
- A perfect place for me to get back in gear and revive my spirits after the various operations and chemotherapy of this year
- It was lovely seeing all the different birds and the red squirrels which visited the garden
- Janice is her role as ‘housekeeper’ was welcoming, friendly and helpful. She had put a pint of milk in the fridge, and provided a packet of shortbread biscuits to keep us going until we could get to the shops. We knew we could call on her if we had any queries or problems. I don’t have any complaints or bad critical comments. We had a wonderful time in Atom Crow and Pitlochry, and I returned feeling much more positive and enthusiastic about life and the future. Thanks so much again for your generosity in enabling us to stay there.
Jan Brownfoot 6 October 2008Jan Brownfoot
Lovely Peaceful weekend, many thanks to Gill & Janice - Our two year old especially loved the squirrels."
Fantastic weekend, such a lovely welcome, we took chilling to another level. Thanks Gill & family."
We stayed at Atom Crow in order to have a base to stay in for our wedding in Pitlochry on New Years Eve. The bungalow was a perfect and flexible place for us all & we had a comfortable stay in the warm & cosy bungalow. Thank you for eveything, Happy New Year!"
Lovely stay as usual no sighting of squirrels at all but nuts put out every day. Nut dissapeared during the night. Had a visit from 3-4 pheasants every day. (We will be back)"
Bob & Lynn Webb
Had a wonderful relaxing week in a comfortable home from home. Cottage is very well stocked. Did all our usual things. We visited Bruar, Queens view, and the dam. Also played 9 holes at Blair Atholl sceneray was fantastic as is the view from the cottages. Many thanks for letting us use it."
Andrew & Anne (Aberdeen)
So lovely to be back again, was here in December 2014. Have had a lovely week, cottage views are spectacular. We put food out for the birds and squirrels everyday. Words cannot describe how grateful we are to have had this opportunity. Many thanks and best wishes from us all. Thanks Gill!"
Sharon & Kirsty
We have had a wonderful time staying at Atom Crow Cottage, it is very comfortable and has everything we needed, with fantastic views. It has been a fabulous base for our many walks walks including Ben Vrackie, the Clunie walk, Black spout wood, and Loch Faskally. We hardly used the car! Had a great day out at Blair Atholl and saw the highland games. Also we had a lovely day at queens view walking in the forests."
Helen, Neil & Matthew (Age 10)
We had a fantastic time in your cozy cottage Thank you!
C. Krasnigi ( Switzerland)"
C. Krasnigi (Switzerland)
Really enjoyed our time here even though it was raining everyday. We visited the enchanted forest that my son (who has special needs) really enjoyed. The house was well equipped and had everything we needed. Also the squirrels visited us!
Harley ( Glasgow)
A well furnished & quiet cosy cottage with information for everyones interests. Despite hurricane katie being forecast. Pitlochry only had very heavy rain & wind. Nice and quiet here. Red squirrels came for their hazelnuts everyday and came and took them from your carpet floor at patio door. Golden Eagle seen at Rannoch Station. Enjoyed the peace & friendly welcome, will recommend to friends. Thank you
C & A Smith
Lovely stay in a wonderful cottage. The squirrels were very active. Some good walks.
Enjoyed our stay it was nice and quiet. Our dog enjoyed out in the garden with the different smells. The squirrels came out both mornings but wouldn't stay long enough to get a photo.
William & Catherine
Had a lovely holiday so nice & quiet and the squirrels were out most of the day. Shona has lots of photos we will let you have one. Thanks so much.
Joan, Robert, Shona
Atom Crow is an oasis of peace. Beautifully decorated, homely and very welcoming. Immiediately when we open the front door we relax and know we are on holiday. Seeing a red squirrel today before breakfast was the icing on the cake for another great visit – our fifth! 'Haste Ye Back' we will god willing.
WD & Kes (Hertforshire & Ayr)
Thank you so much for receiving us on Saturday night, words cannot express our thanks enough.
We have enjoyed our stay in your cottage we were comfortable. Dissapointed the squirrels didn't come see us, but we had lots of seagulls to entertain us. Thank you once again hope to see you in the future.
John, Jenny, Muriela, Jennifer
Thank you so much for the use of your wonderful cottage. It was the perfect location for us to
enjoy all the sights of Pitlochry and the surrounding areas. Climbing Ben Vrackie was probably the highlight of our trip. The many walking paths were incredible. A completely experience than our lives in Florida. God Bless.
The Galbraith & Pool family, Naples, Florida, USA
Had a lovely holiday here, the cottage is perfect & well equipped. Weather was gorgeous, which made our stay. 'The plaice to be' chip shop is fantastic! Would definetly recommend! Thanks for the welcome pack, the milk came to good use for a cuppa after our journey. Great holiday home x"
Margaret & family
We had a nice ten days in Pitlochry. The weather was nicer the first part of the week but didnt stop us going out. Thank you Gill for making us feel welcome, lovely comfortable cottage, cosy & warm. Thank you"
Graham and Margaret (Yorkshire)
An excellent and well appointed cottage making it a superb, comfy and relaxing holiday. Very welcoming and real home from home feeling. Very helpful people in all the local shops especially in the tourist office. Although late in the season the weather was fairly good and the late autumn colour which made the local walks stunning. The red squirrels appeared in the garden once the frost lifted. Looking forward to another visit. "
Robert & Margaret
Just to say we had a really lovely time and everyone enjoyed the street party. Many Thanks
Jeanette & Mark
Thank you so much Gill for your cottage. We visited some of the sights, left nuts for the squirrels but never saw any. Gill I will never forget your kindness I am overwhelmed. Met Janice she was lovely. The snow lay on the hills – Beautiful. Once again Gill you are an Angel.
Moira and Allan (Port Glasgow)
Thank you so much for a lovely weekend in your beautiful cottage. It couldn't have come at a more perfect time. Managed a few walks. Love to the family."
Fiona & Allan
Thank you so much Gill for your kindness & Janice for maintaining a beautiful, homely cottage. So much to see & do in such a short space of time. We have loved the much needed rest. So peaceful and comfortable. We would definitely recommend Scone Palace, but we were highly disappointed with Crieff. ' The plaice to be' is great for fish and chips. Thank you thank you thank you."
I would just like to say what a wonderful week we have had here. We hope to come back."
Debbie & Stuart
Thank you Gill for the sue of the bungalow, it was great for the grand children, they loved the freedom of the house and garden, watching the birds and feeding them, sadly no squirrels. Janice thank you for preparing the cottage for our arrival, you always have it so welcoming. Many thanks again & will look forward to coming back."
Ruth Black (Fife)
Lovely comfortable cottage. Hetties tea room has lovely food. Loch dunmore is wheelchair accesable with swans & Kingfishers. The bookshop at the station is worth a visit."
David and Ellen Shields.
Had a lovely holiday so quiet & peaceful. Just what we needed. Hope to be back next year."
Jo, Oscar, Charlotte, Peter (Crewe)
We had a lovely week and are sad to go home, lovely walks especially the Black Spout woods. The house is lovely & warm & had more equipment than we could ever use. The squirrels visited and nearly came in the house at one point. Lovely week!"
Ruth & George (Glasgow)
Had a good week. Weather mixed with some snow. Thank you for the flowers and shortbread – a nice welcome gift. The flowers lasted the week, the shortbread only 1 day. The house was lovely & warm. The floorboards and doors were a bit squeaky."
Lynn and Bob Webb ( Kent)
We both had a lovely time, nice & peaceful just want be both want. Enjoyed seeing our daily visits of two red squirrels (well fed) and also a bird of prey in the garden. We hope to see you again in February."
John and Cathy (Canada)
Lovely cottage cosy & comfortable our stay was only 2 nights but hope to be back. Thanks so much will recommend. "
A well furnished cottage very comfortable. Enjoyed visits from the squirrels. Weather could have been better as our golf was rained off. Very enjoyable stay."
Had a lovely time, the cottage is very comfortable and quiet. The squirrel came to visit nearly everyday and we named him Chesney. Thank you very much, Had a great holiday!"
This is our 6th or 7th visit to Atom crow Cottage and we have found that it is possible for a family member in a wheelchair to have a large degree of independence both in the house and in the garden."
Joan, Robert & Shona
Just a quick note to say how much we are looking forward to coming back to the bungalow for the New Year, as well as hopefully back again next summer"